Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Surgeon (of Oncology) Appointment

Meet Dr. Marianne Melnik with Spectrum Health Medical Group. She is a surgical oncologist who specializes in breast cancer and leads the Spectrum Health Breast Care Program.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oy_jlrDX_A

Today, Janelle took me to my pre-op appointment to see my surgeon Dr. Melnik, in hopes of getting my two drains out. Well, NO GO! I am a little disappointed as they are a pain (literally and figuratively). I have to have an output of less than .25 cc's in a 48 hour period in both sides. I am at .35 cc's. I drain my drains every 12 hours and pour the output into a small measuring cup and record what the amount is. She told me to call the office when I am recording less than .25 cc's and then hopefully they will remove them. Looks like it will be a few more days at least or early next week. Therefore, I may not go to work or drive. Seriously?! I am driving and she said she didn't hear me (so that means I will). As for work, the HR Director requires a doctors statement releasing me back to work. She is pretty strict about that. Do you think I can get away with it since it is me? 
 
There is still a lot of swelling. She said it will take a year to look like it should. I can see why! Patience for me is a virtue.

Me and Janelle
I received a beautiful card in the mail from my niece Danae in Florida. She wrote a quote from Elisabeth Kubler-Ross in it (with her pink ink ink pen) that says "The most beautiful people we know are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way back out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen". Thanks Danae, that is a wonderful quote!
 
Danae
Romans 5:3-5 - We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment